Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Swell Season.


What a pleasant surprise when one of my close friends sent me a message via the ubiquitous Facebook to let me know that she had an extra ticket to a show at the 9:30 Club for Monday night! I hadn't seen her for ages, and I thought that it would be an absolute treat to see her.

What made the surprise even better was that the show was of The Swell Season. For those of you who are not familiar, The Swell Season composes of Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova. Glen and Marketa were the stars of the Oscar-winning movie "Once". (There are various musicians who accompany them on albums and when they're on tour: Marja Tuhkanen (violin), Bertrand Galen (cello), John Carney (bass guitar), Thomas Bartlett (keyboard), Joseph Doyle (bass guitar), Colm Mac Con Iomaire (violin), Rob Bochnik (guitar), Graham Hopkins (drums), Javier Mas (guitar), Chad Taylor (drums), Steven Bernstein (horns), and Clark Gayton (horns).)

Suffice it to say, the show was fantastic! Glen brought his musical intensity and awesome sense of humor, and Marketa, well, Marketa was just magical. She is beautiful, and her voice, angelic. Here's a little clip from their recent show in Boston performing two of their songs, Fallen From The Sky and Lies (I couldn't get one from DC :p):


And I couldn't help but include the following clip either. It's from their recent Philly show (no DC clips yet :p) where they debut an untitled song. They played it at the DC show, and I instantly fell in love with it. I hope you like it too. :)


**Photo from
last.fm.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:46 PM

    Oh I am so jealous. You are so lucky to see them.

    ReplyDelete