Thursday, June 10, 2010

"I miss the old J.Crew."


This has been heard way too many times over at the J.Crew Aficionada blog
and even in my own circle of friends.

"They've become too edgy."
"They want to be too editorial."
"WTF are you thinking, Jenna [Lyons, J.Crew fashion director]?!"


Well, there have been plenty of stores that have readily picked up
where J.Crew seems to have left off for some "old school" J.Crew fans.
Land's End Canvas, Eddie Bauer, Talbots,
Ann Taylor and Ann Taylor Loft, just to name a few.

Has anybody, though, turned to the ultimate in prep fashion?
I'm talking about Ralph Lauren.
Yes, that silver fox who's eternally tan(or orange, depending on where you're sitting)
and in a navy blazer and white chinos.

I've just recently discovered his Rugby collection.
I've always passed by this store in Georgetown,
but never really gave it a second thought.
For some reason, it looked quite intimidating.
Little did I know that it was chock-full of really cute clothes!
And sometimes burgers at half-price!

Look at the goodies I found in the sale section of their online shop!

Clockwise, from L to R:

4 comments:

  1. You know what? Even if you buy from the Rugby collection, you will still find a way to bring a little edge to the prep, and that is why I (HEART) you so much, drewablank. ;) Long live Fenton-Fallon for J. Crew and the Alecia suede peep-toes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I miss the old JCrew...I liked when they first started doing the edgy thing..but now I'm kind of over the ruffles and washed out pale colors...although I manage to find at least one thing to buy with every roll out so I can't be that sick of it:) I like rugby by ralph lauren. I have one of their "actual" rugby shirts and I really love it! So good for casual weekend wear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. awwww - this is one of my favorite catalog images EVER. and I don't have any of the items! well, maybe the shoes the model on the right is wearing, but in brown...

    I truly miss the old j. crew. I just don't dig the edge, although many jcas rock it well. that doesn't mean, however, that I have stopped buying. I think there are still lots of individual pieces that have some of that old preppy vibe, you just have to put them together in the "old" j crew way rather than the "new".

    I will say though, that what is truly gone is the color. I think I would honestly stab someone for the green, yellow, and rhubarby jackets in that picture...if I keep seeing more muted "lipstick" shades and I will lose my sh*t...:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @dinagideon: Thank you, sweetie! I can always count on you to be my hype-girl! ;) And you know what, that tassel necklace is REALLY growing on me....

    @Jordyn: Edgy is great, but the many colors they are able to bring to their items, unlike the limited color options their competition has, is why I love J.Crew so much! I hope they don't seriously consider going muted and washed out ALL THE TIME. And I'm seriously thinking of getting a rugby banner shirt from Rugby ('have been lusting after the ones I first saw on Joules Clothing from the UK- post on that coming up soon!)!

    @kater: Isn't this photo adorable? Those are the colors I'm talking about! Look at that! And they all look so happy! :)

    ReplyDelete